Bachelor's Degree Program
CSI has six centers primarily established to work on the long-term training program at levels of
degree. These programs include: Degree of Public Administration, Degree of Urban
Management, Degree of Development Management, Degree of Accounting and Finance, degree
of Political Science and International Relations and Degree of Human Resource Management.
1. Public Administration
The Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration offers students a solid multidisciplinary training
and a practical vocation aimed at acquiring specialized knowledge and professional competences
required both for working in management in the Public Administration and for professional work
in private counselling and management in relation to the activity of the different public
administrations. Public Administration Department is a three-year program which was founded
in 2010 in Civil Service Institute (CSI). The Department offers an interdisciplinary training
program that combines theories and practices in the organization and management of the public
sector as well as management of development programs and projects.
The program intends to impart knowledge and skills in the areas of public sector by offering
various theoretical and practical courses on the concepts, principles, approaches of public policy
formulation, implementation and evaluation; public finance management; human resource
management, public service delivery; new public management; research methodology; project
planning and management; leadership and conflict management; and other related subfields in
public administration discipline. The BA program in Public Administration is intended primarily
for those who are planning a career in the administration and management of public sector
organizations and development processes including national, regional, local as well as globally.
- To develop the analytical skills of students to understand how public administration functions
- To equip students with the required skills, knowledge and attitudinal/behavioral competencies to enable them act ethically, effectively and efficiently in the administration of public sector organizations
- To develop the critical and analytical skills which enable students to understand policy and program formulation, implementation, budgeting, resource allocation and evaluation
- To prepare students for mid-level professional career that involves managing and administering human, material, financial and information resources of organizations at the various levels of governments and non-governmental organizations, and other agencies
- To train mid-level professionals who must fill the professional gaps in all tiers of Somaliland public sector.
- To provide knowledge and skills on how to run public institutions effectively and efficiently in the context of Somaliland, where the state is one of the important factors that plays major roles in socio-economic and political development.
2. Development Management
The department of Development Management was established in 2010 in Civil Service Institute
(CSI). Development Management is a program that trains professionals to meet the increasing
need for experts in program and project management.
Development Management is a three-year program which is based on innovative, solution-
oriented and practitioner-oriented program that gives students the skillset required to understand
today’s key development problems, design evidence-based strategic solutions, and manage the
implementation of the programs that create and sustain social good with business efficiencies
and equity in mind. This program gives the student a solid theoretical background and introduces
the necessary tools for dealing with the practical problems of managing development programs
and projects. Development Management is an undergraduate degree that prepares students for a
career in their field of study. This degree prepares graduates to lead organizations and
institutions in the fields of development and public policy. Graduate programs in development
management impart many practical skills to students. One primary skill is the ability to analyze
and critically evaluate social and economic policy. Other skills include research, leadership, and
Development Management can lead to careers with a variety of institutions. Graduates may find
jobs as advisors, consultants, for example, working with public, private, and not-for-profit
agencies. These may include banks, governments, and international bodies such as the UN or
World Bank, NGO and social entrepreneurship organizations.
- To equip students with the potential to progress at CSI with the relevant knowledge, tools and managerial and leadership skills to successfully lead within complex, dynamicenvironment.
- To train students in giving the leadership skills in their professional area.
- To gain deeper understanding of theories and practice of management.
Department of Accounting and finance was established in 2010. This program is intended to
produce qualified Accountants and Finance professionals and practitioners committed to
excellence and Integrity in the field of Accounting and Finance to meet the changing needs of the
society. Bachelors of degree in accounting is an undergraduate three-year degree program which
is designed to impart the foundational knowledge associated with Accounting and
Finance. Graduates from accounting programs might find jobs in consulting or financial firms,
tax departments and public institution.
CSI accounting curriculum is in line with ACCA qualification requirements. This program
assists students to get maximum exemption papers of ACCA.
- To help develop the judgmental skills necessary to apply and interpret accounting principles and concepts.
- To produce students with the knowledge to identify the source of funds, its use, and application.
- To enable students to serve as key personnel in the course of project (investment) appraisal and in other finance related duties in both macro and micro economic environments.
- To equip the student with the technique of assisting management in planning, problem solving and controlling business operations.
- To enable students, familiarize with principle, concepts, procedures, of budget information, the basic approaches of presenting cost for the decision-making process.
4. Urban Management
In 2011, the institute addressed the need to institutionalize its service to local governments in its
The Institute established department of local governance development (CLDG) in 2013.One of
the primary purposes was to introduce urban management undergraduate program. This makes
the institute as first and the only higher institution in Somaliland offering this field of education.
Urban management comprises human, financial, and physical resources in the urban areas for
purpose of responding to ever-increasing urban issues and addressing contiguous problems.
It involves planning, development, and management of all sorts of infrastructure to keep the
same pace with urbanization.
- To introduce the causes and consequence of urbanization with emphasis on eastern Africa including Somaliland.
- To Acquaint participants with the most pressing issue facing the local government as poverty, infrastructure, land conflict, corruption, solid waste, traffic-related problems.
- To Equip participants with tools and machinery to respond hindering local development.
- To provide knowledge, skills, and abilities drawn from best practice across the globe for effectively dealing with urban challenges.
- To promote urban governance and make vibrant transparent and accountable local government authorities.
- To produce competent urban managers who can handle technical and managerial duties of local government in an effective, efficient, and responsible manner.
- To Contribute towards the success and sustainability of the recent trends of local governance development led ministry of interior and UN Joint Programme for local Governance & Decentralized Service Delivery (UN JPLG).
5. Human Resource Management
The Bachelor Degree in Human Resource Management program is intended to prepare 21st
century graduates with exceptional, knowledge, skills and competencies in human resource
management. The graduates will be equipped with the ability to identify, analyze, and solve
complex human resource and management issues for changing organizations. The knowledge
and understanding of the human resources of an organization is pivotal to that organization’s
success, irrespective of its size, industry and profit motive. The focus of human resources is to
understand people, their needs and desires, relationships and interactions, thereby enabling
organizations to be effective and to achieve and maintain an optimum level of efficiency. It is
designed within the context of the Somaliland.
The new curriculum of Bachelor Degree in HRM imparts deep insights into theoretical
knowledge, understanding & practical application of the basic functions of human resource
management, human motivation, individual & group behaviors to be able to pursue higher
education in human resource management or the related field of industrial psychology. The
pedagogy includes case studies, real examples from the corporate world, experiential learning
through role play, field trips, project work and option for a short internship during the semester
break. The student is equipped with knowledge to begin working at an entry level executive
position or pursue higher education with a specialization in human resource management,
industrial relations or the related discipline of industrial psychology.
- This Human Resource Management program offers persons the opportunity to examine and explore a combination of core concepts and methods covering the theory, principles and practices of human resource management. The program seeks to:
- Provide an in-depth study of human resource management using a combination of economic, political, psychological and sociological approaches.
- Present the fundamentals of managing people alongside the industry functions of organizations.
- Facilitate an understanding and awareness of current issues of human resource management in the modern economy Promote and foster a range of professional and transferrable interpersonal, communication, leadership and team-building skills
- Program Justification & Rationale The department of human resource and procurement is consciously aware that to be able to serve and indeed survive effectively in the rapidly changing competitive environment, the academic programmes offered must be designed and developed with the clear aim of meeting high academic and professional standards of the qualifications and products of the Institute. This department is directly favorable for Somaliland civil servants which is intended to train their capacity and improve their performance in the area of public service delivery.
6. Political Science and International Relation
The Department of Political Science and International Relations (DPSIR) is one of the oldest
academic programs of the CSI. PSIR was firstly established in 2013 at CSI which primarily aims
at producing educated professionals in diplomatic fields of study who are expected to own
necessary skills, competence with higher moral integrity that are vital to transform multifaceted
development activities of their societies and state.
The aim of the Bachelor of Science degree programme in Political Science and International
Relations is to encourage and allow students to acquire the analytical skills to examine critically
the organization and expressions of political power, social power, economic power and cultural
power that is, power in all its human expressions. The DPSIR has been able to train graduates
with appropriate and balanced qualification to satisfy the needs of various organizations and
agencies (both governmental and non-governmental).
- Build capacity in teaching and research in the field of political science and international relations.
- Provide training in the field of political science and international relations at the government related institutions.
- Produce skilled professionals in political science and international relations for civilservice institutions, non-governmental and intergovernmental agencies.
- Produce intellectually and professionally competent graduates in the field of study; and
- Encourage the conduct of inter-disciplinary research in the field of political science and international relations with a focus on contemporary political developments in Somaliland, Africa and the rest of the world.
- Establish collaboration between the Department and newly established counterpart departments and peer institutions in Somaliland, Africa and beyond in the areas of research, staff-exchange and publication.
6. LAW & LEGAL STUDIES
The Bachelor of Laws degree curriculum includes a skills component that teaches
student's generic practical skills such as problem-solving, analysis, research, and
practical legal skills such as legal writing, drafting, and argumentation. Law students are
required to make constructive use of the knowledge and skills they acquire by
contributing to national development and the community through legal aid, community
service, street law, and similar outreach activities
To expose students to the multifaceted nature of the development process and
arouse their intellectual and practical interest in the phenomena of nation-
building, fidelity to the law and its institutions and so develop responsibility for the
- To introduce students to the social foundations and perspectives of the law.
- To inculcate in students’ sufficient technical skills for the extraction and communication of legal information to make their intellectual and professional lives exciting and fulfilling.
- To introduce students to the international legal order, its various manifestations, and relationships with the municipal legal systems.
- To deepen the students' appreciation of the theory and substance of the law and its application to contemporary problems.
- To prepare students with the knowledge, skills, and other competencies to enable them to provide legal services nationally, regionally, and globally.
- To intellectually prepare students to appreciate the role of law in development from national, regional, and international perspectives.
- To Inculcate in students the values of professionalism, social justice, and community service.
- To Integrate studies in science and technology, including information technology, in legal education.
- To deepen the understanding of national and international law, and how both regimes relate to each other.